It’s not a goodnight, I’m not sleeping tight. Is it bed-bugs that bite?
I’ve heard a lot about bed-bugs recently. Have I got them?
First things first. Let’s see if you’re in a high-risk category.
- Do you live in an inner-city apartment?
- Have you been overseas recently and stayed in a hotel, motel, B&B or back packers?
- Have you had anyone staying with you recently? Did they stay in a hotel, motel, B&B or back packers?
- Have you bought any second-hand furniture, particularly beds or couches or bedside furniture?
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you are in a high-risk category.
Bed-bugs or fleas?
Even then, it’s more likely you’ve got fleas. Check out our blog article about the flea life-cycle for more information about fleas.
If you answered yes to any one of the above questions, then here’s where you need to look to see if you’ve got anything obvious.
- Sheets and pillows. FORGET IT, you’ll never, ever find bed-bugs in these unless they’re very sick, dead or it’s a very bad infestation.
- The mattress seams….. maybe, but not very often, again unless it’s a really bad bed-bug infestation.
- The bed-base. Absolutely! Particularly at the head end of the bed.
Where do bed-bugs hide?
Why the head end of the bed? Well bed-bugs like somewhere where they’re going to be undisturbed during the day, and somewhere very close to their food source when they come out in the wee small hours of the morning when everything is quiet. Somewhere close to what attracts them….. your body heat and the carbon dioxide in your breath.
Your bed’s base is the perfect habitat for happy bed-bugs!
How to spot bed-bugs at your place?
So, what do you need to look for? If it’s an advanced infestation the signs will be obvious:
- Adult bed-bugs. Reddy brown and about the size of a short grain of rice hiding under material coverings, wood slats or in the head board.
- Blood spotting on the bed base. This is the bed-bugs’ pooh.
- Very, very small white eggs gathered around other signs of bed-bugs.
However, unless the infestation is advanced, it’s usually not that easy to spot a bed-bug infestation. Early infestations are harder to spot as bed-bugs are masters of hide and seek and may leave little trace of their presence.
We’re good at getting rid of bed-bugs
Getting rid of bed-bugs is very, very hard. The best option is to get a professional bed bug exterminator who can look at the situation and offer advice on what you have and what you need to do to eradicate the problem.
The team at Bug king are experts at bed-bug extermination.
If you need advice on a possible bed-bug infestation, or help getting rid of bed-bugs, please feel free to give the team at Bug King a call team a call on 0800 54 64 54.